The 5th annual Global Intranet Strategies Survey just closed. Jane McConnell, its creator, gleaned some important insights even before it closed. To our eye, she saves the best for last: prediction markets appear to be emerging in the enterprise.
The trends Ms. McConnell identified are worth reprinting in their entirety:
- Mobile optimization is not happening very fast. There has been no evolution since last year’s survey: Only 7% say their intranet is optimized for mobile access, 24% are running pilots or are in the planning stages. This is identical to last year.
- Social media is advancing inside. It is implemented to some extent in 70 % of the organizations, up 10 % points from last year. Out of these, 20 % have had social media for less than one year, and over 25% have had it for 3 or more years.
- Enterprises are looking outwards…. 40% say “We create official, branded spaces on external networking platforms such as Facebook.” But most are still being cautious….and only 11% say “We encourage employees to blog on the internet.”
- Collaboration is now “self-service” for some. Out of 276 organizations with blogs, wikis and/or collaborative spaces, approximately 40% provide a self-service solution where people can do it themselves with no or minimal help desk support. However, from 45 to 55% say that only IT can open these spaces.
- Are prediction markets emerging? 10% of the participating organizations already have them. Another 7% are in the pilot or planning stages. Last year, the highest we had were 3% who were testing prediction markets.
Keep in mind, an intranet is the network that is built inside an organization, frequently for the purposes of communication, project management, sales process, etc. When we implement our Foresight platform, it is often in the context of an intranet.
The final insight about prediction markets tracks nicely with Gartner’s latest edition of their Hype Cycle for Social Software, in which prediction markets were clearly maturing. We’re anxiously awaiting the final results of the survey. In the meantime, isn’t it time your organization set up a pilot?
Consensus Point is the leader in prediction markets, the social predictive analytics solution.